A group of Egypt's most famous and talented photographers in Egypt decided to launch an annual photojournalism competition in Egypt to choose the best news photo for the year.
That group of photographers decided to name that competition after detained Freelance photographer Mahmoud Abu Zeid aka Shawkan and so we have in Egypt now Shawkan Photo Awards.
The judges for this year's Shawkan Photo awards were:
- Hossam Diab: The former head of photography section in Al-Masry Al-Youm and former head of photographers section in the Egyptian journalists syndicate.
- Khaled Douski: The head of photography section in AFP Egypt office.
- Magdy Ibrahim: The head of the photography section in Al-Shorouk.
- Mosa'ab El-Shamy: A photographer in AP Cairo office.
- Eman Helal: A freelancer photographer.
Here are the judges in a nice photo.
Those judges chose the ten most impressive photos for the year and from those photos they chose the top five including the 2015 Photo.
|From left to right: El-Shamy, Douski, Diab, Ibrahim, Helal|
When I look to those photos, I see some of the most important events in 2015.
Here I will share the top five photos descendingly
5- The killing of a Pro-Morsi protester during the Eid in 2015 in Giza by Belal Wagdy
|The killing of a protester by Belal Wagdy|
4- The breakdown of late lieutenant-colonel Mostafa Al-Wateedy's wife during his funeral after he was killed in a terrorist attack by Al-Sayid Al-Baz in July 2015.
|The breakdown of a widow by Al-Sayid Al-Baz|
4- The tears of Esraa El-Taweel in court by Sameh Abo Hassan
Read more about it here