Friday, January 9, 2009

Profiting from the crisis

Today I was in Mohendessin doing some shopping and while I was in the car I found myself surrounded by several street sellers ; you know the kind you find in the football matches with either Al-Ahly or Zamalak flags. Well now they are not selling the clubs or Egypt’s flags but rather the Palestinian scarves.

I do not know why I feel that it is more of bad commercial use of the crisis. I do not know why really I felt by buying these scarves I won’t really help those people trapped by death in Gaza, I will only help the seller and those behind him who are using the crisis for their profit. It is not about selling the scarf but about those men standing in every traffic,I do not know how to phrase it. I felt that it became more commercial then symbolic.

BY the way I own Palestinian scarves. I bought them from Al Hussein area long time ago with out intifadas or wars or anything. I bought them not for fashion also unlike some girls in my family. I bought it because I love it and l love the idea how it became a symbol to the Palestinian cause.

2 comments:

  1. You should seriously consider changing the name of your blog to PALESTINIAN CHRONICLES.

    It's about all you are discussing. Iraq never warranted this type of attention from you nor did Darfur, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

    It's okay if you are Palestinian descent. Don't be ashamed to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you visited my blog before you will know I spoke about all those countries and areas.
    Because I am Egyptian I care for others especially those whose voice can't be heard in the outside world

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comment
Please keep it civilized here, racist and hateful comments are not accepted
The Comments in this blog with exclusion of the blog's owner does not represent the views of the blog's owner.